Wednesday 28 November 2012

World War 1 & Great Uncles

I started my family tree in 2004 because I wanted to know where my Great Uncles died, they are my mam's mam's brother (Albert Betts) and her dad's brother (James Staniforth).


Albert Betts: Albert served in the 6th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment, he was born in 1891 and died on 14th July 1916, he has no known grave but his name is on the Thiepval War Memorial in France. His mother is Betsey (nee Widdowson) and his father is Thomas Betts, his siblings are – William, Kathleen, Aubrey and Claude Hector.

James Staniforth: James served in the North Staffordshire Regiment, he was born 1895 and died on 24th May 1917, he has a grave in Carvin Communal Cemetery, Pas de Calis, France. His mother is Henrietta Ellen (nee Bradley) and his father is Elijah Staniforth, his siblings are – Isabella Dora, Mary Hannah, Colin, Minnie Matilda, Clara, Gertrude, Hetty Matilda.

I also found that I had another Great Uncle who died in World War 1, its my dad's dad's brother.

ALFRED JAMES BROWN: Alfred served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, he was born on 20th December 1884 and died on 6th December 1917 he died of wounds, received at Cambrai, in a casualty clearing station, he has a grave at  Rocquigny-Equancourt Road British Cemetery, Manancourt, Somme, France. His mother is Rose Hannah (nee Hammonds) and his father is James Brown, his siblings are – Frances Anne, George Henry, Fred, William, Sidney John, Ellen, Mary Ann, Rose.




No comments:

Post a Comment